Learn To Swim Instructors (Casual)
About Parkes Shire Council
Parkes Shire Council is a progressive and innovative organisation that embraces new ideas and has adopted a philosophy of continuous improvement. Council is committed to delivering progress and value to our community through living our corporate values of Community, Innovation, Integrity, Respect, Safety and Teamwork. The values guide the work we do, the choices we make and how we interact with each other and the community. For our employees we provide a positive, safe, creative and fun work environment which embraces new technology with the focus on the safety, health, well-being and professional development of staff.
Council has been awarded for Excellence in Local Government and was named the winner of the prestigious 2016 AR Bluett Memorial Award. The award recognises the most progressive rural council in the state, based on all council operations and services.
Parkes Shire Council is a changing organisation, we are embracing the LEAN philosophy in an effort to maximise the value and service we deliver to our community. Council values our position as a progressive, cohesive and well respected employer of choice. We are proud of our corporate values which guide the work we do, the choices we make and how we interact with each other and the community. For our employees we provide career development and succession planning opportunities across a large range of trades and professions.
In our quest for continuous improvement Council has achieved formal accreditation under the Australian and New Zealand standard for Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems AS/NZS 4801:2001 by SAI Global. This highly regarded accreditation recognises the dedication and commitment from Council staff to ensure safety management systems are robust and efficient and more importantly that a safe workplace is provided for our staff, contractors, visitors and volunteers.
About the Opportunity
Do you love working in the outdoors and improving the services offered to your local community?
Want to share your skill and passion for providing tuition in advancing students through all stages of water safety, survival and learn to swim from dog paddle to beginner, intermediate and advanced levels of competitive strokes?
Then look no further - consider an opportunity to work and gain valuable life skills and experience at the well appointed Parkes Aquatic Centre as a Casual Learn To Swim Instructor!
Working part-time on a casual basis, based on the AUSTSWIM guidelines, you will be responsible for providing swimming lessons to a range of students from babies to adults and learners with disabilities under vigilant supervision to ensure the safety of all participants of the program.
Given that you have a passion for providing tuition, aquatic activities and dealing with people, to be successful in this position you will need to have:
- Positive Communication skills
- Dedication and motivation for participation in the Pool team dynamic
- Proven ability to provide tuition to a diverse range of students
- Current and valid Learn To Swim Teacher qualifications
- Relevant work experience
- Basic computer literacy skills
- Current First Aid Certificate + CPR
- Working With Children Check number (current)
- Demonstrated commitment to WHS and EEO principles
- Demonstrated attributes and work values to become a valuable team member
It would be desirable for the position holder to possess a standard drivers licence.
Other details relating to this position are:
- The Grade applicable to the position is Grade 6 within Council's salary structure.
- The base hourly rate is $24.45 plus 25% casual loading
- Hours of work will be negotiated based on the Learn To Swim timetable offered to the public
- Employment is under the Local Government (State) Award 2017
- You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job
- Parkes Shire Council proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity
- Aboriginal persons are encouraged to apply
VIEW FULL POSITION DESCRIPTION BY CLICKING HERE
How to Apply
Before you apply for this position, please read the position description carefully to assess your eligibility and suitability for the position. You will be required to answer a few questions that relate to the criteria on the online application below. You will also be asked to attach your current Resume which should include two recent employment related referees. Please note that you cannot submit your application without attaching your resume. A cover letter is not required. Council will only accept applications submitted on line.
Parkes Shire Council operates a merit-based recruitment process.
You will be contacted by phone if you have been selected for interview. You will be required to bring with you a copy of all relevant certificates and qualifications. The interview panel will consist of a panel of three.
If you have not been selected for interview you will be advised by email.
In the event you are shortlisted for an interview, and are then selected to progress to the next stage following interview, you must be prepared to undergo the following pre-employment screening processes as part of the selection process:
- A pre-employment physical examination (at Council's expense), including a hearing and drug and alcohol test
- Please include two work related referees in your resume for reference checking purposes - please ensure your referee details are current
- Provide the applicable Working with Children Check number if the role applied for requires a Working with Children Check
- Undertake any other applicable screening that may be relevant to the role
- Council may also check authenticity of certificates and qualifications
Working With Children Check
To create a child safe environment within the shire, all roles involving life guarding and cleaning of public amenities will require a Working With Children Check Number. Shortlisted applicants will need to apply for a Working With Children Check. More information can be found at www.newcheck.kids.nsw.gov.au
As part of the recruitment process, Parkes Shire Council will be collecting information about you. This information is private information for the purposes of the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act. This information will be included in the recruitment file, and accessed by Council Records Staff and members of the Recruitment Selection Panel. Applicants may request their information be returned to them at the conclusion of the recruitment process.
Other Important Details
Enquiries: Telephone Sharon Ross on (02) 6861 2343 for further information.
Closing Date: 5.00pm AEST on Friday, 13th October 2017.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONCE YOU START TO COMPLETE YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION, YOU CANNOT SAVE IT AND RETURN TO IT LATER.
Good luck and we look forward to receiving your application!